The ceiling is leaking, there are signs of other water damage and the carpet is wet. What is the procedure to getting the issue rectified? – Julie, QLD

Q: My elderly mother lives in a townhouse complex. When visiting her on the weekend, I noticed that her carpet was wet. Looking up it was obvious that the ceiling was leaking as there were drops of water falling at the time, as well as signs of other water damage from previous occasions. What is the procedure for getting the issue rectified?

A: In case the cause originates from a common property issue, it may be worth contacting your strata manager to have their plumber investigate the matter. This may result in any related expenses being covered by the strata insurance. However, if it found to be an issue related to your lot, then you would need to hire a plumber directly and contact your contents insurer.

For more information on this topic, we recommend you read our article Who pays for water damage?