My unit has a leaking cold water pipe under the slab inside the unit. Who is responsible for the repairs? – Kevin, QLD

You need to reach out to your body corporate manager and familiarise yourself with the boundaries of properties. Find out if your building’s pipes are located only within your property or are shared with other properties.

The body corporate is generally responsible for utility infrastructure that is part of common property. If the utility infrastructure (such as pipes) is not part of common property, the property owner is generally responsible for maintaining it.

All utility infrastructure in a community titles scheme is part of common property, except for utility infrastructure that caters to only one property and is within the boundaries of that property. This could mean a floor, wall or ceiling (except a false ceiling), which is common to that of another property. This definition applies to all schemes regardless of the plan of subdivision.