Do I need an ABN and insurance to work in my building as a cleaner and gardener? – Fay, NSW

Q: I have been asked to do the cleaning and look after the garden in the block (of four units) that I live in, for a small fee. Do I need an ABN as well as insurance for this?

A: As for any self-employed work, you need to get an ABN so you are paying tax correctly and not doing business “under the table”. As for insurance, we’d recommend you consult a specialist to explore your options. It’s also worthwhile to refer to the Work Health and Safety Act to understand any legal obligations, and how public liability cover affects you when cleaning and gardening on site.